Keeping Your Pup Safe During the Holidays
As the holidays approach, it is important to remember a few safety tips to keep your dog safe from potential danger associated with our holiday traditions.
Festive Plants that are Dangerous to Dogs
Most people adorn their homes with a variety of holiday plants including poinsettias, mistletoe, holly and live Christmas trees. These beautiful plants are used to bring holiday cheer to a home, however all of these plants are harmful to your dog. Ingesting any part of them can cause some form of discomfort for your pet. Symptoms range from irritation inside their mouth through severe vomiting and diarrhea. It is important that you monitor your pet to ensure that they do not ingest any part of these plants. In particular, the pine needles from trees and holly are especially dangerous.
Holiday Food Dangers
During the holidays, you may have more chocolate in your home compared to other times of the year. Chocolate is extremely toxic for your dog and can be deadly when ingested in large amounts. Make sure that chocolate candies and desserts are in areas out of the reach of your dog ensuring their safety.
In addition to chocolate, it is important to watch the amount of other food ingested beyond your dog’s normal diet. Many guests will assume it is okay to share a small piece of food with your dog and may unknowingly give them bones or other trimmings from meat which can be dangerous. Tell guests not to give your dog anything without your knowledge.
Holiday Pet Stress
The stress that humans feel during the holidays is often transmitted to their pets. Dogs are sometimes upset by changes in their daily routines or the movement of things in their environment. Try to spend a few extra minutes with your dog each day or give them a special treat to help them deal with this stress. Also, monitor how guests approach your dog and make sure people know not to let your dog outside without your knowledge.